It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:41 am

Text Size

Disney California Adventure's expansion or new Fantasyland?

Discuss anything and everything related to ANY of the Disney Parks: the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida, The Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, and any of the Disney Parks NOT located in the USA. i.e. Tokyo Disney Resort - Disneyland Paris - Hong Kong Disneyland. Also, this is the place to post your Disney Trip Reports. Make everyone jealous. You know you want to!

Moderators: AaronsPod, Mike

Disney California Adventure's expansion or new Fantasyland?

Postby Captain barbossa » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:52 am

Ok, so as I see all over the dpn discussing the new changes to both the Disney California Adventure and Walt Disney World's magic kingdom Fantasyland expansion, I ask this: which expansion project are you most anticipating for? And which do are you disappointed with? Now Im not here to bash the new plans, both seem promising. Yet, it just comes down to what will it bring to the resort and how it will fit in. To me, I am excited for the expansion and new elements to disney california adventure. The only thing I was disappointed is dropping the california theme and losing the golden gate bridge. The bridge always resanated to me whenever I saw it, reminds me of the real bridge seen in my area of San Francisco and has a nostalgia factor. However, the new hollywood theme looks different than Disney's Hollywood Studios. The red cable cars are going to be something that will put a match to Disneyland's Main street. Plus, the Car's land will be detailed and great! Overall, I think it will get a much needed overhaul.

The New Fantasyland expansion doesn't favor me much. I could say my opinion does not factor a lot since I only seen the Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland once on a trip. I felt there was a element missing from the land: doesn't have that unique charm Disneylands carries. The tent like facades were different, yet did not appeal to me. Of course, I still think Peter pan's flight at the magic kingdom is pretty close to beat disneyland's version due to the storyline and scenes. Only scene that makes disneyland's better is of course the neverland scene. Snow white scary adventures. That and peter pan are the key dark rides in the area. Though, Snow white was growing old and needs updating, I am not sure the mine train coaster will be good. Of course, disney parks are not museum, but putting in a great replacement counts. With the coaster, restaurant, little mermaid dark ride, and meet and greets, I am not very thrilled or peppy about it. I know its a different age of people as far taste with rides, but I still am happy with the old dark rides like Haunted Mansion, Spaceship Earth, and others. Plus, with the new detailed features and the existing old structures, I don't see it fitting in. I am hoping that the existing attraction's facades will get beautiful detailed areas and what micecast says, "add testerone finally." Both of these projects are supposed to create more detailed theming to their parks.

Anyways, my big DF rant is done. Have a magical day ;)
“There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island.” —Walt Disney

Meandro sopra!
Captain barbossa
Meandering Mouseketeer

Re: Disney California Adventure's expansion or new Fantasyland?

Postby Dizzy_Emjay » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:01 pm

I am looking forward more to the DCA changes, but this is because DLR is much more accessible to me. I only get to WDW about every 5 years and there are always changes each time I go.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Dizzy_Emjay
Meandering Moose

Postby Captain barbossa » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:02 pm

Im in the same boat and also, the new refurb is basically themed to all princess. The little mermaid attraction is going there, but its going to be similar to the one in florida. I like the idea for buena vista street.
“There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island.” —Walt Disney

Meandro sopra!
Captain barbossa
Meandering Mouseketeer

Postby NYCDreamer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:03 pm

Although I'm a Disneyland "local", I'm actually looking forward to the new Fantasyland just a bit more than DCA. I mean, I'm split. I'm really excited that they are going to glorify all that Disney has done in California. World of Color is beautiful and awe-inspiring. But, taking the letters from the front really hurt. And Cars Land? While it might amuse my 5 year old nephew, it doesn't do much for me. I see another Bugs Land, albeit with a bit more oomf.

However, I'm really interested in how Disney is redoing Fantasyland. This is the first time that Fantasyland has been reimagined so that it's not almost a copy of all the other parks. For the first time, we have new, innovative ways to look at Fantasyland. While I love the dark rides, they're at all the parks. The mine train ride finally adds a little glimmer of excitement to the normally mundane attractions. Meet n Greets...well, you can't avoid them no matter where you go. At least now, the princesses will have their own individual areas. At Disneyland's Fantasyland, where they put all of the princesses in an empty staging area that they really haven't done anything to but let it sit and rot. Before the refurb in Florida started, the princesses were in a glorified tent. In every picture, there is nothing but red velevet surrounding the characters. Booooooooooring. This new Fantasyland will spin the fairy tales where each princess is.

Whether it be DCA or WDW, I'm excited. We'll get complete theming at long last.
Chelsea

At least out loud, I won't say I'm in love.
NYCDreamer
DPN Don

Postby Captain barbossa » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:04 pm

*A note to anyone, there are some spoilers here so if you do not want to read this, please exit the post and watch your step as you exit. Thank you*

Ok so I know I am rising this post from it's old grave (pun intended), but I have to really really say my whole perception of the new Disney California Adventure is false! I love it!!! :-D Buena Vista Street and Carsland put California Adventure on a great course for success!!!! Working on the opening day for guests, it was mayhem to see the line for Radiator Springs Racer's line all the way through the wharf and pier, but I was excited and honored to be at the location on a historic day!

Buena Vista Street, the details flourish! Entering from the turnstiles, the buildings were done masterfully!!! My favorite piece(s) in this area is the "Storyteller's Statue" (which is of Walt Disney and Mickey from the early years) and Carthay Circle Restaurant (based off of the original Carthay Circle Theater that hosted Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs in 1937). Both of these detailed pieces make them a memory keepsake for years to come. Smile big!!! In addition, I love the Red Car Trolley. Now being from San Francisco Bay area, I always see them as trolleys you encounter in San Francisco all the time. However, they are the seen replicas that were transporting citizens of LA back in the day.

Carsland, wow this land is more than I can say that would ruin me. It really has so many awesome details!!! The Mater Junkyard Jamboree, a cute and enjoyable ride. It may not be the most populated and a favorite but it is to full of laughs and interesting to see the license plates in the queue. Luigi's Flying Tires, this is a cool ride!!! Not only it is a homage to the past Flying Saucers that floated its way into Tomorrowland in 1967, but its cool interactive experience is what makes it so much fun. Bumping into the other guests is a cool thing. Don't bump too hard however. Radiator Springs Racers, O My God!!! As some don't know, I started my time as a Disney Cast Member back in January of 2012 (1 year anniversary for me last month) and I saw from the whole park the transformation from then to opening day. I enjoy this ride than Test Track. Test Track has some cool experiences, but not only racers has thrill, it has a story with dark ride elements. It is very well done.

One thing I would like to close out that now that I work for the Walt Disney Company, I appreciate the products a bit more. I appreciate and respect what the Imagineers and executives do for the guests, and more importantly, us Disney fans. They may raise Disney ticket prices and take some memories away, but the new additions compliment the park. I never regret any day that I made the move to be a Disneyland Cast Member. Ever!!! I take it serious and have fun at the same time.

For New Fantasyland, can't wait to see it in the near future. :thumbsup:

Meandro sopra!
Captain barbossa
Meandering Mouseketeer

Postby MammyNun » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:28 pm

I think the new Fantasyland will be great, and maybe even surpass the DCA improvements when they're done.

But as it stands today, the major DCA changes are done and if one were choosing between the two (as if it's ever that simple ;^J), it's no contest IMHO: it would be DCA. But I always liked most of DCA. There were just some weakly-themed elements, which I think they've addressed. And after seeing everything in-progress at our last visit (in 2011), I'm really looking forward to seeing the final result.

At least there's always something different at the parks. And every change is not for the better. But at least it makes for good conversation and drama. ;^J

And I say regarding kids, enjoy them as they are, since they won't be the same next year...
MammyNun
Hi! I'm new around here.

Return to Disney Theme Park Discussion